(makes 6 VERY generous servings)
12 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked (I used whole wheat)
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used extra virgin.)
salt & pepper
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups (or 6 ounces) shredded sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used reduced-fat.)
1/2 cup milk (I used skim.)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the cauliflower during the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain.
3. Return the pasta pot to medium heat and add the oil.
4. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft. About 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Mix in the pasta, cauliflower, sour cream, cheese, milk & mustard.
6. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (at least 3 quarts) and bake until the top is brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.NOTE: I used my enameled dutch oven from start to finish on this recipe. It worked well for cooking the pasta and onions. It eliminated the need to use a baking dish since it could also go right into the oven. Less dishes = happy cook.
Source (with modifications): Real Simple, February 2009